The St Patrick's Day Moldova Wine Extravaganza (16-20 March 2020)
Join us for a five day adventure exploring the booze in a true Soviet time warp with plenty of wine, beer and brandy tastings! We will be venturing to the the beautiful undiscovered winemaking country of Moldova as well as the unrecognised nation of Transnistria and Autonomous Territorial Unit of Gagauzia. We will also be celebrating St Patrick's Day in style with a mammoth bar crawl across the capital city of Chisinau!
Monday 16 March 2020
- Early morning flight from London Luton arriving into Chisinau at 05:20.
- Check into our centrally located hotel for a few hours of rest and relaxation.
- At 9:00am we will hit the road for our first day of wine tasting in Moldova!
- We board our private minibus and head to the Cricova winery, home to one of the largest wine collections in the world. We will discover an amazing underground city of wine with huge labyrinths.
- After a tour of the cellars we will taste seven delicious wines in a very traditional Moldovan way - wine served in hand-made ceramic pots, paired with local delicacies and Moldovan instrumental music played by geriatric musicians!
- We then head to the Et Cetera winery which is owned by a group of passionate young winemakers whose aim is to produce wines of unique Moldovan character.
- Before a traditional lunch we will tour the cellars, sample the delicious wines and relax in the picturesque winery gardens.
- Transfer back to Chisinau.
- We enjoy some free time before heading out for dinner with local Moldovan beer tasting!
- Overnight in Chisinau.
Tuesday 17 March 2020
- Today we celebrate like the Irish as it's St Patrick's Day!
- After breakfast we have some free time before setting out for a huge St Patrick’s Day bar crawl across Chisinau wearing our Leprechaun hats and green Y-fronts.
- We will check out the local Irish bars such as the Dublin pub featuring the world's most miserable bar staff!
- Wherever we decide to go we can guarantee a 'craic' in this isolated European city.
- Overnight in Chisinau.
Wednesday 18 March 2020
- After checking out of the hotel, at 9.00am we load up our minibus and head to Transnistria, a country that doesn't exist!
- Passport control is always an experience as we drive to Tiraspol for a city tour. Although the city has now some modern buildings we will soon discover that this is a place still lost in time...
- After our city tour we will visit the "Bottle Museum" which is the largest building in the world in the shape of a wine bottle! Here we will discover five exhibition halls filled full of more than 10,000 thousand bottles of booze from more than 100 countries. It would be rude not to sample a delicious local Transnistrian wine here with some tasty nibbles.
- Lunch at a local Ukrainian restaurant with traditional cuisine.
- After a hearty lunch we will head to Kvint distillery for a tour and a very special brandy tasting! We will taste: Kvint XO Surprise 10 yo, Kvint XO 14 yo, Tiraspol 15 yo, Kvint Solnechny 20 yo, Victoria 25 yo, Kvint XO 33 yo and Suvorov 40 yo. Wow!
- Dinner, drinks and karaoke late into the night. Also a possible trip on the awesome ‘Techno Boat’ sailing along the Dniester river in complete darkness!
- Overnight in Tiraspol.
Thursday 19 March 2020
- After breakfast we will head for the Comrat Winery in the Autonomous Territorial Unit of Gagauzia. If you would like to discover what winemaking was like during the USSR years then this is a perfect opportunity as things haven't changed much here since then!
- After our delicious tasting we will head for a culinary master-class in a local agro-pension where we will learn how to make and cook some delicious cheese pies for lunch as well as sampling the delicious local wines!
- We also take a tour of the agro-pension to see how the local Gagauzian people used to live.
- Return back to Chisinau for another evening of wine bar crawling and pie eating!
- Overnight in Chisinau.
Friday 20 March 2020
- After breakfast we will have a 'Wine Walk Tour’ of Chisinau stopping half way to discover more of the famous pies of Moldova with three glasses of delicious wine in a local wine bar.
- Free time after our tour for more wine and beer bar discoveries.
- Transfer to airport for our flight back to London Luton at 21:55.
- End of tour.
Tour Cost: £500.00
Secure your adventure today with just a £99 deposit...
Price Inclusive of:
- Accommodation in mentioned hotel on twin sharing basis
- All transport
- Local guides
- Entrance fees for all mentioned monuments
- Wine and Brandy Tastings
Price Exclusive of:
- International air tickets
- Visa if needed (we can provide support)
- Any personal expenses & services not included in the above
- External costs as mentioned in itinerary
For your financial protection Smiling Grape Adventure Tours Ltd is a member of Trust My Travel and our membership number is TMT51510. All client money, whether by bank transfer or card payment is paid into an independently managed Trust Account held at Barclays Bank in the UK. This means in the unlikely event of our financial failure you will receive a refund for the services you have paid for. Money is not received by us until all suppliers have been paid and you have completed your trip. Trust My Travel is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority under the PSR 2009: No. 569641. For more information about how your payments are protected please visit www.trustmytravel.com for more information.